Sunday, March 03, 2024

POEM: The Japanese Maple Tree

My neighborhood looks the prettiest in the spring.
When I go for a walk in the park,
I notice the blooming trees along the street.
I take out my phone and photograph the blooms.
There is a Japanese maple tree in front of my neighbor’s house down the street. 
It’s rather unique,
And I am fascinated by this perfect creation of Mother Nature.
I stop in front of the house and take a few pictures of the tree.
My neighbor sees me from her house, and she gets out.
She encourages me to approach the tree and take closer pictures from her driveway.
I gather she is used to the attention that her precious Japanese maple tree is getting,
It’s the only one in our neighborhood.
I thank my neighbor for her kind gesture,
And don’t hesitate to come closer to the tree.
It is indeed special.
I gently touch the delicate red leaves; they feel like velvet.
Legend has it that the Japanese maple tree brings good fortune to the household where it grows.
It can reflect and absorb the happiness and the sadness of the people who live in the house.
When the members of the household are happy,
The red leaves of the tree are full of life and velvety rich.
When the family is struck by sadness,
The tree leaves are crying in pain.
Today, when I notice the tree,
Its leaves are full and velvety rich.
The tree looks happy,
And the family who lives in this house must be happy too.
How can you not be happy when such a marvel of nature brings you joy every single time you look outside the window?
And it brings you so much contentment that you want to share it with your neighbors.
Legend has it that the Japanese maple three brings good fortune to the household where it grows,
And this good fortune goes both ways.
The tree with the velvety red leaves brings joy to the family that takes care of it,
And in return the family lets the tree absorb their happiness,
A nourishing balm for the velvety red leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto (2021), page 154.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!