Friday, April 05, 2024

POEM: The Emperor's New Clothes

The emperor decides to update his wardrobe.
He hires two tailors for the job.
Apparently, they are the best tailors in the kingdom.
Everybody raves about them.

The tailors arrive at the palace.
Work starts with no delay.
But there is a catch.
Only the worthy can wear the magnificent robes created by the skillful tailors.
If you are unworthy, it will not fit.

Work in progress.
The council comes to see how it goes.
But every time a courtier checks on the tailors,
They squirm uncomfortably in the shop.
What is going on here?
Am I seeing things?
Do my eyes deceive me?
Did I get it all wrong?
Were my beliefs for nothing?
Do I doubt myself now?
Am I unworthy?

But I must not say anything out loud,
Or else, I am doomed.
I would rather live in fear and not speak up than face the naked truth.
Instead, I say,
What a marvelous creation!
And I clap along.

The parade day comes.
Everybody is joyful.
The emperor wears his new clothes, loudly and proudly.
Are you worthy or are you unworthy?
Townsfolk fidget in discomfort.
The same thought crosses everyone’s mind,
And one could see it splattered on every forehead around.
But no one dares say a single word,
For they don’t want to admit their unworthiness.
People clap half-heartedly.
What a spectacular attire!
Until the innocent child utters the truth.
The emperor is naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!