Saturday, November 18, 2023

POEM: The Terrace in Montréal

I missed going out so.
The second summer in a row.
After a gruesome year and a half,
The provinces are finally ready to open their gates to each other again.
English and French speakers can now meet and go out together.
I find myself on a terrace in Downtown Montréal,
Enjoying a mojito cocktail with my Québécois friends.
It’s a perfect day, and the mojito in my cocktail refreshes all my senses.
The other patrons are cheerful,
The staff is friendly.
There is an all-hugging good vibe and a feeling of ethereal happiness in the fair city of Montréal.
Such a simple thing, like a drink on a terrace, used to be an unacknowledged privilege,
And now it’s appreciated like a cherished treasure.
The normal is on the horizon,
Impatiently awaited and soon to be welcomed back.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto (2021), page 186. I wrote this poem in mid-2021, inspired by a trip to Montréal that summer, when things started returning to somewhat normal after the receding pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!