Friday, September 29, 2023

POEM: The End of Summer

Red leaves on the ground.
Summer leaving,
Seasons changing,
Fall coming.
Sixty days of hot summer in the country of the maple tree,
And now it’s mid-September,
And today is the last day of summer.

My darling, beautiful, adored summer,
Where are you going?
I don’t want you to leave.
I’m not ready to let you go just yet.
I still want to hold your hands,
Hug you tight,
Kiss your peachy cheeks,
Caress your flowing hair.
I still want us to wear floral dresses,
Run with our bare feet on the beach,
Swim in the blue sea.
I want us to watch the moon and the stars
While lying down on the soft sand.
I want us to go with the car windows open
And listen to loud music while on the road.
I want you to sing along with me.
I want you to be my best friend forever.
I beg you to stay.

But summer is leaving.
The mornings are cool,
The sun is not as bright anymore.
Summer whispers in my ear,
Goodbye my dear friend,
We will see each other again soon, really soon.
She lets me kiss her one more time,
Then she breaks our hug.
Temperatures drop.
She sends me an air kiss as she steps back,
And her silhouette recedes and recedes and recedes,
Until she disappears into the morning fog.
Summer is gone.
Sweet summer please don’t leave!
But all I have left is her air kiss on my cheek,
And the autumnal wind playing with my hair.

Fall is here.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 63.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!