Sunday, September 17, 2023

POEM: The Last Phone Call

I called my mother on an early spring day to ask her how she was.
She wasn’t feeling well,
And I didn’t keep her on the phone for too long.
I just wanted to hear her voice,
Then I went about my day.
And she went about hers.
Or so I thought.
In fact, it was her last day.
Hours later,
I got the phone call.
The one that said it had been her last day.
She is in a better place now.
I kept replaying the phone conversation from the morning in my head.
Thank God for that last phone call!!!
I will cherish the memory of that phone conversation forever.
Had I not called my mother that day,
I would have regretted it for the rest of my life.
The feeling of guilt would have never left me.
I got to say the last goodbye.
I will always love you Mom.
The last phone call.
The last words.
The closure.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 92.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!