Saturday, July 29, 2023

POEM: The Assault

I saw some disturbing news today.
There was this video circulating on social media of a senior taxi driver in New York being attacked by five people.
The assault was vicious and senseless.
The police were nowhere to be seen.
Cars drove by without stopping.
A couple of passers-by were filming the incident.
But no one intervened to help the poor man.
And to add insult to injury,
His glasses got smashed on the ground.
The video was short, so I don’t know the context.
But with or without context, attacking another human being in broad daylight like this is despicable,
No matter how you look at it.
As I was watching the video with a heavy heart,
I was wondering,
What could have happened?
Why did these five people get so upset that they resorted to such abhorrent violence?
I wish I was there to help him.
To intervene.
To get the bystanders involved.
And I couldn’t help but wonder,
What happened to our world?
What happened to our humanity?
Somewhere along the way we lost it,
And we need to get it back.
For now, I can only pray for this unfortunate man.
I hope he went to the hospital to get the care he needed.
I hope he will overcome this adversity.
And I pray not only for him, but also for us.
I pray we find our lost humanity and repair our shattered decency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!