Monday, July 31, 2023

POEM: Quarantine

This poem was written in 2020, amidst the global pandemic. It was first published at Whitby Public Library – Archives, in January 2021.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quarantine


I stay home.
I work from home.
I don’t spend time in traffic.
I don’t spend money on things I don’t need.
I don’t travel abroad.
There is a mysterious artist in my neighborhood who paints inspirational art rocks.
I live in sweatpants.
I don’t dress up.
I don’t apply makeup.
Sweatpants are the new dress pants.
I save up money.
My garden gets a makeover.
I sleep in.
I cook slow foods.
I skype.
I write letters.
I read dozens of books.
I read this year more than the five previous years combined.
I have more than a hundred unread books in my personal library.
Time to read all those unread books.
I journal.
I write my next book.
I paint.
I craft.
I turn trash to treasure.
I create.
From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 77.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!