Saturday, August 05, 2023

Falling Behind. A Poem by an Anonymous Author

I once found a little handwritten note in a library book, likely forgotten by the previous reader. I had a closer look at the handwritten note, folded in two, and realized it was a poem. I kept the note with the poem by the unknown author as it intrigued me. I left it in my nightstand drawer at the time and kind of forgot about it.

I found it again last night, and I read it again. It's a beautiful poem, even though I don't know who wrote it. I debated with myself whether I should share it, and finally, I decided that yes I should. This touching poem deserves to be read and heard, so I am sharing it here today.

~~~~~~~~~~

Falling Behind

[Anonymous author]


This is me reaching out over the grandest canyons
This is me fighting at the chance to grab at the shadows of your sleeve in order to pull you back to me
When I know how quickly you’ve learned to leave
And how deftly you seem to pull it off
And this,
This is my bones slowly cracking under the weight
Of your many insecurities and naïve doubtings
And the way you’ve managed to keep my spine
Bending and curving far away from
Your own that it begins to break under the
Stream of the distance.
And the worst part is that each time I come
Crawling back with limp, broken fingers,
Tired from the tearing and clawing at my own
Ragged skin, you pick me up and stare me down and
Tell me there’s nothing you can do with my weary heart
Anymore and I’d best learn to
Find someone else
But the only one who can kiss these scars pure again
Is the one who was too far away to prevent them
In the first place
Though I know so well that
Your fleeing figure never plans to return
To my sagging bedframe
Or to the places where I carefully lay out my words in sentences
Almost close to perfection so that I could
Show you what it meant to be a little less
Insane than the rest of the world but
Always,
Always more mad.
And how my bones rattle in the darkness
When you’re already left
And I know your return is only a
Figment of my imagination.
If the author of this poem ever sees my post, I hope she doesn't mind that I shared it. ❤️❤️❤️

Photo credit: Victoria West

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!