Saturday, August 19, 2023

POEM: Summertime

I love spending my summers in the cottage country.
Quiet days and nights and weekends at the cottage.
Everything is so green here,
That the cottage itself can barely be seen from the street.
Completely hidden from indiscreet eyes,
Protected all around by a natural fortress of tall trees
That are like loyal guardians
Whose mission on earth is to safekeep my joyous days inside the magic circle,
And who won’t let anyone bother me from outside.

Campfires keeping me company every night.
The bright flame dancing in the pit.
Crickets singing.
Silly roasted marshmallows laughing out loud and having fun with me.
Beer partying with me.
Bright stars shining high up in the sky.

Reading book after book after book.
Browsing with leisure through fashion magazines.
Watching my favorite movies.
Sleeping till late afternoon.
Pampering my taste buds with local flavors.

Don’t know how much the time is.
Oh, but I don’t care.
I left my watch in the big city.
Facebook? Take a break.

Love swimming in the lake,
Beaching at the lake,
Boating on the lake.
Love wearing all my different swimsuits on the boat.
Boat, meet water.
Water, meet boat.
Love the summer days by the lake.

Love the small and cozy downtown that I can walk in fifteen minutes from one end to another, along the river that crosses the town.
Love wearing all my flowery summer dresses and flirty sandals downtown.
Love the mom-and-pop shops, thrifting, vintage, and antiques.
Love the used bookstore at the corner of Main Street and summer happiness.
Love the treasure hunting in the countryside.

Love the praline sundae from the best ice cream shop in a tri-county area.
Love to climb up the hill where I can view the entire panorama of the town from.
It’s called Panorama Hill.
Love to sit at a picnic table on Panorama Hill and enjoy my praline sundae while watching the sunset over the cottage country.

There is a place somewhere in this world that I call my retreat.
When I am at the cottage, I don’t worry, I am happy.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 177. I sold the cottage since then, but I wrote this poem in the summer of 2021, during my summer vacation that I spent at the cottage that year, all the while I was writing my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto which was published in late 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!