Wednesday, August 09, 2023

POEM: Sisters

There is a book on my desk, it’s called “Sisters. Thoughts on That Special Relationship”.
I like rereading it every now and again.
I picked it up at a yard sale a few years ago.
When I saw it, it spoke to me, and it came home with me.

I have a sister whom I love dearly.
She is the most important woman in my life.
When I saw the little book at my neighbor’s yard sale,
It instantly made me think of her, my dear sis.
And the book had to be mine.

Seven years in age difference can feel like a half-generation gap.
When I was born,
She was a kid on the playground.
When I was a kid,
She was a teenager in high school.
When I was a teenager,
She was a young woman on her own.
While I was growing up,
It felt like I could never catch up with my big sister.
But the blood that we shared could not keep us far away from each other.
I was always just one step behind her.
And when I did grow up,
I finally caught up with her.
Two young women closed the half-generation gap between them and left it behind.
Moving forward together at the same pace,
Always there for each other.

There is an ocean between myself and my sister now.
But our hearts are close to each other.
Our deep connection makes up for the huge physical distance between us.
Sometimes when I miss my sister,
I like to read through my little book.
And I think about her.
One is truly blessed to have a sister.
She is not only my sister, she is my best friend.
We are sibling soulmates.
I love you sis.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 82.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!