Tuesday, August 08, 2023

POEM: The Dining Table

The dining table has the power to keep a family together.
Every evening we gather around the table in the dining room to have dinner,
And to spend time with each other.
To ask each other, how was your day today.
To laugh about the good and to cry about the bad.
To nourish our bodies and our souls.
Dinnertime is familytime.
I am grateful for each dinner spent together with my family around the dining table.

When I was a little girl, dinnertime was my favorite time of the day.
Gathering around the dining table every evening was my favorite family tradition.
It kept our family strong and bonded.
Because the dining table has that power.

Once I grew up, I left my parents’ home to make a life for myself.
Now my sister and I have our own homes, our own families.
We live on two different continents,
But we talk to each other every day as if we lived in the same neighborhood.
Every time I call my sister,
I pick up the conversation from where I left it off yesterday.
The dining table in our parents’ home did that for us.

And now I want to keep the same tradition alive, in my own family.
Dinnertime is familytime.
The best tradition a family could wish for.
I teach my son to appreciate the power of the dining table – keeping a family together, strong and bonded.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!