Sunday, June 25, 2023

POEM: Childbirth

I want to be your mother. 
Your father and I love each other, 
And we’re anxiously waiting for the wonderful news. 
Finally, an angel tells me what I wish to hear. 
You will come into my life, 
And I will be your mother. 
A new life grows in me. 
I hear your first heartbeat. 
Two hearts beating in unison, 
Mother and son. 
And then you are here. 
I feel a sharp pain. 
Like a thousand knives stabbing me. 
I scream. 
But screaming is good, 
And I am grateful for screaming, 
Because it pulls me through the pain, 
And I bravely take it. 
It’s worth all the pain just to have you here. 
And now you are in my arms, 
And I am so blessed to meet you. 
child, my most cherished treasure. 
I cry, but it’s a happy cry. 
The pain still stabs me with a thousand knives, 
But I don’t feel it anymore. 
I hold you in my arms and close to my heart. 
The most beautiful baby in the world. 
I feel complete. 
I love you and I will always be there for you.
2009
From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!