Saturday, June 17, 2023

POEM: The Floral Dress

My dear friends and readers, 

Today I am starting a new series on my blog where I would like to share some of my selected poems. The Floral Dress is the opening poem in my book Sunset in Toronto, published in 2021. 

I hope you enjoy it! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Floral Dress 


Summer of 1999. 
The previous century. 
My friend insists I go to a party with her. 
Come on, I want you to meet my new friends. 
I’m not in the mood to go out. 
It’s been months since I left a painful breakup behind, 
And I still feel like nurturing my wounds. 
But my friend won’t let me say pass. 
You have to come with me. 
You have to get out of your rut. 
I finally agree. 
I put on a floral dress. 
It’s the newest dress in my wardrobe, 
I just bought it yesterday. 
Well, at least here’s a new opportunity to wear my new dress. 
Long, flowy, silky. 
Big flowers print. 
I go to the party with my friend, 
And I meet her new friends. 
I also meet you. 
I fall in love with you, 
And you fall in love with me. 
On our third date, you confess you loved my dress on the night when you met me. 
You loved the way it made me look. 
Beautiful. Desirable.

One year later – our first anniversary together. 
My gift to you is a framed photograph of me wearing the floral dress. 
Your favorite. 
The dawn of the Millennium is pre-digital, 
And we are still taking photographs on film. 
I love taking photos in doubles – one for you, one for me. 
I want you to remember me as beautiful as I am today. 
If we ever drift apart, 
I want to stay in your photo albums the same as when we were happy together. 
Your favorite floral dress is in many photographs. 

A marriage, a child, and twenty years later, we are still together. 
And I still wear the floral dress. 
Your favorite. 
It still looks great, and I love it. 
You love it. 
We grew mature together, 
And the dress grew vintage in my wardrobe. 
I could never part with it. 
I now wear it at least once a summertime. 
A reminiscence of the summer when I fell in love with you.
2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!