Wednesday, June 28, 2023

POEM: Reflection

I look in the mirror and I think about my mother. 
My reflection reminds me of her when she was my age. 
I look at my face, 
And I see my mother in my own eyes. 
I look at my arms, 
And I remember her arms when she was holding and hugging me as a little girl, 
When she was singing me lullabies at bedtime. 
Sometimes I sing my childhood lullabies to my baby, 
And it feels like my mother is there with me, 
Like an angel observing me from a discreet distance. 
I remember my mother’s love flowing through the lullaby rhymes when she was singing it to me as a young child. 
And now I whisper it to my baby when I sing for him at night. 
I am truly my mother’s daughter.

~~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!