Monday, June 26, 2023

POEM: September Baby

My son was born on a September night. 
It was 3 AM when I first held him in my arms. 
He announced his coming into this world the prior December, 
The holiday season. 
I couldn’t possibly wish for a better Christmas gift.

Many of my friends’ children were born in September. 
My baby, her oldest, his youngest, both of their kids. 
There are so many September birthdays in my circle 
That every year we throw a giant birthday party 
For everybody born in September. 
Lots of babies born in September, 
Lots of kids to celebrate.

And all of them were conceived by their parents in December. 
The Christmas season. 
The holiday cheer. 
We tend to love each other over the holiday season more than the rest of the year. 
So much so that the month of December has become a baby boom for us. 
We couldn’t possibly wish for a better Christmas gift. 
The best Christmas gift is the gift of love.
2009
From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto, page 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!