Saturday, December 23, 2023

POEM: Christmas

It’s Saturday morning before Christmas.
I’m home with my kin.
All Christmas shopping is already done,
And the gifts are safely hidden until Christmas day.
Time to decorate the Christmas tree.

When I was a little girl,
I loved decorating the Christmas tree with my family.
It was my most beloved family tradition,
And I was looking forward to it every holiday season.
I loved the glittery Christmas balls, the lights, the tinsel.
And of course, the star.
As the youngest member of the family,
I was always the one to put the star on top of the tree, the final touch.

Years later, I have my own family.
Saturday before Christmas is the day to decorate the Christmas tree in my living room.
I kept my old family tradition alive,
And I passed it on to my next generation.
Now my son is the one who puts the star on top of the Christmas tree, year after year.
And I still love the glittery Christmas balls, the lights, the tinsel.
And of course, the star.
Everything is ready for Santa to come.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
~~~~~~~~~

From my book of poetry Sunset in Toronto (2021), page 84.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!